I all most did not get time to blog today, now 7.30pm in OZ my Wednesday is almost over.
Ive spent most of this week working on Esther’s Secret Garden block 2.
I started by making templates out of washaway freezer paper for my small bluebells. I ironed 3 pieces of freezer paper together then drew the shape of the bluebell on to another piece and ironed this on top of the 3 pieces ironed all together cut out the shape and then had a good solid shape to pencil around 53 times to make those Bluebells LOL !!!!
How I made my wee blue bell flowers using washaway freezer paper.
Playing with laying out the pieces I have made so far.
Starting to make my vase, more of a challenge than I thought it would be. Im use to hand appliqué so machine appliqué is a real challenge for me.
To mark my background fabric I tape it down first then lay the patten on top and tape this down to so I have no movement when Im marking.
I sliced through the pattern were all the stems will go and then I can mark the back ground fabric with a pencil these lines will be covered by the stems.
My pattern is getting more and more cut and sliced in to this is why I print off two patterns.
My other pattern I use now for holding all the pieces while I cut slash and mark my back ground.
Making my vase, pink is paler than it looks and is fine silk. First I cut out the shape in wash away freezer paper then cut out the inside of the shape leaving only 1/2 inch wide shape which I ironed on to the back of the fabric I choose for my vase. this was so my vase would not be to stiff. there is a lot of appliquéing of stems and leaves that has to go on to the back part of the vase. I cut out th epink shape in washaway freezer paper then ironed it on to the back of the silk to stop it distorting as its so fine. This also gave the pink more depth so it did not disappear in to the silver and gold vase fabric. To hold the fine pink silk in place I spot glued it then pinned every 1 1/2inchs with very fine pins.
Hard to decide were to satin stitch which area first this was scary to me as I was going to machine satin stitch so not easy to undo???? Added the satin stitch around the pink first then pinned it to the back ground fabric to add the rest of the satin stitching.
Then just kept going LOL I did satin stitched around the whole of the out side first then the inside part, it was very slow going in all it took me 4 hrs to make my vase and appliqué it on to the back fabric. I added a light weight fusing facing behind the whole shape before starting the satin stitch.
Placing some of the pieces of the pattern I have made or making so far.
It really is a beautiful design. Now need to make my stems and sew them on before adding any of these pieces.
Update adding my bias stems I have been making..
Made bias strips fold the strips in 1/2 and pressed them machine sewed them on to my block and have rolled them over and will hand stitch them down this way they give a 3D look. I store my bias on swimming noodles to keep them from getting crushed.
two more main stems to add then I will embroider the small curly stems I think?
Update 1am Thursday morning !!!!
I finished machine sewing down the last main stem at 1am Thursday morning and then had to play around placing the leaves and flowers to see what it was going to look like LOL
Update 9am Thursday morning OZ time in FNQLD
Taken in day light time just now not midnight time LOL These colours are truer. 15 more bluebells to make and my bird.
Off to link up with Esther’s WOW or WiP’s before it is to late to do so for this week. Thank you so much for dropping in. No garden photo’s as Ive been to busy on the group this week its been such a busy week of new members and lots of lovely photos of work in progress on the two beautiful BOM’s Esther has released this year and Ive been so busy on my own blocks.