My 2017 challenge with Meredith and Ann. Work on 17 UFO’s

Make some more blocks up of these lovely old 1930's blocks up.

Make some more blocks up of these lovely old 1930’s blocks up.

Happy New Year every one,wishing that some of your wishes come true this year.

All though Im working on the below 16 quilts and the one above this year, when Im not working on those ones I will be working on my LE, Hearts Desirer,  and Peaceful Pathways All Esther’s beautiful designs.  Plus several others that I want to finish or do some progress on.  Life is never dull around here LOL

My 2017 challenge with Meredith and Ann.  Thank you Meredith and Ann for sharing this great idea.

It is to work 3 weeks on 17 different UFO’s!!!!  and share my progress with other quilters doing this challenge.

Well the difficult part was whittling my list down to just 17 projects LOL.  May be I will do this challenge next year too !!!!!!

My personal challenge is now which ones to work on first; or  do I need to decide before hand or just pick up and new UFO project after 3 weeks??????

Below are my 17 choices so far?, these could change before we start in Jan 2017 LOL

Sara Jeans quilt

Sara Jeans quilt I have chosen this one to start on.   2 lambs machine appliquéd on now to do the other 3 and add them as a last border to this quilt.

My darling darling having a Party blocks.

My darling darling Having A Party blocks. 6 more waiting to be assembled.

I have added another 250 smaller and tiny circels tyhis week but htats all. I need another

I have added another 250 smaller and tiny circles I now need to sew them ALL down.

Little Hazel designed by Esther Aliu. Finally hand appliquéd my black bias around my outer circle it took me 3 1/2 hrs ????? This is just the centre !!!!

2016 challenge 365 quilty circles. Sew my last 90 tiny squares to make another quilt.

My antique Crazy Quilt

My 1930’s  antique Crazy Quilt these panels all needed repair work on them I have one left to finish then sew them all together.

I added the little appliques last night

Florence Petra’s quilt. I need to Finish  the bottom of the quilt, appliqué blocks,  4 patches, need to be sewn together with the black. all are just placed there.

I only have a little Sashiko quiting to do now and then stit

Fibonacci  numbers used to make this quilt block Turn this block in to some thing?????

Allmost completed quilt top two hearts flwoers to

Dedicated to all mothers around the world who have been affected by war. Baste and start hand quilting this one.

Working on my ANZ quilt 3 more rows to add , decided to hang it on my design wall to see ho

Working on my ANZ quilt 3 more rows to add , ?????

mjuytr

These blocks are just lying on a black back ground!!!!

Then when the sun goes

Finish this 1930 grandmothers quilt it still needs 1 1/2 sides hemmed with hexagons and finish hand quilting it!!!!

There ahs been a 1" shrinkage in this block, from all most a 12 1/2" block I have a square 11 1/2" block. A lot of shrinkage but it is all 1/4 quilted.

1930 block I have 12 of them to be repaired and quilted. There has been a 1″ shrinkage in this block, from all most a 12 1/2″ block I have a square 11 1/2″ block. A lot of shrinkage but it is all 1/4 machine quilted.

Needs to be finished LOL. I sat at the machine and appliquéd two of the birds on using bottom line and a very narrow but close zigzag stitch I have a very old 320 Bernina.

If I can find it I would like to do more hand quilting on this one?????

If I can find it I would like to do more hand quilting on this one?????

Started to long ago now the baby is 8 !!!!!!

Started to long ago now the baby is 8 !!!!!!

Will now link this blog with Esther’s WOW or WIP’s this week.  Happy stitching every one and hope you find time to sit and enjoy some time to your selves.

Thank you for dropping in. Cheers Glenda

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

28 Responses to My 2017 challenge with Meredith and Ann. Work on 17 UFO’s

1. chris says:

Bravo! I chose 17 from my book of lists. Several I was planning to work on anyway. I was thinking about posting progress every third week for the year. We shall see if I can contain myself.
    Blessings,
    Chris in very cold Canada

• glenda says:

Glad you are joining in Chris, I plan to keep track of what I do on each project and write it up in one blog at the end of each 3 weeks, then I may be able to keep that up all year LOL. Hugs Glenda

2. Karen says:

wow you are working on a lot!!

• glenda says:

Story of my life Karen, I see some thing or dream about some thing and then its the start of a new quilt????? So I have endless UFO’s LOL. I would like to say I wont start a new one this year but I know I could not keep to my word LOL

3. Fiona says:

Fantastic projects you are working on and that you showed in your previous post. It’s wonderful to be in touch with another UFO’er..
    Hugz

• glenda says:

Thanks Fiona nice to share the year with you on this fun challenge, you sure have plenty of choices LOL. I started my first one yesterday and Im about to go down to my room and do some more on it now, I have 3 hrs left before midnight LOL. Hugz

4. Gretchen says:

They’re all beautiful projects Glenda, I can see why it would be hard to choose the first one. I hope you can make progress on all of them. I didn’t join in the 17 projects. I’ll just keeping on my same old projects. It looks like you are off to a busy new year!

• glenda says:

Dear Gretchen, well the best laid plans have all ready gone astray LOL. I can not find the binding to finish off the last bit to Sara’s quilt, Monday and yesterday I finished the last border then went to add the strips of border fabric that I have used else were and I spent an hour last night from 11 to midnight and no joy. So I have pulled out number two and will work on this one and hopefully I’ll discover where I stashed that fabric LOL. At this rate I may finish both the first 3 weeks LOL. Hugz Glenda

5. Anonymous says:

It’s nice to meet another challenger. You have some beautiful projects to work on. It will be fun to follow along and see your progress.

• glenda says:

Dear Anonymouse LOL For some reason your name has not come up so you will be known as Mouse to me LOL. Are you taking the challenge to or just watching, all ready it’s been a challenge for me as I can not find my strips of binding to finish the quilt I just need a strip to add at the bottom of the quilt Grrrrrrr. Cheers Glenda

6. What a super selection of projects – I’m looking forward to seeing the progress on them!!

• glenda says:

Dear Ann frayed at the edge LOL thank you Meredith so much for coming up with this brilliant challenge, for me it is perfect as I work well under pressure and a time, I spent Sun and Monday on my first challenge but Murphy’s Law kicked in just when I’d almost completed the top, the outer border strips I could not find any where, I just need those to add to the bottom of the quilt and it’s finished and I can sandwich it for quilting I hope I find them soon LOL. Cheers Glenda?????????

7. it is amazing how many of us have this many or more UFOs / I am joining in for the fun as well. What an array of gorgeous projects you have here.

• glenda says:

Deb it’s amazing how many UFO’s Im remembering I have when I see what others are doing, Meredith has a red and black quilt she will work on and it remind me of a pile of sample Blocks Black and White with a touch of red I have stashed away some where I don’t know were though LOL. They are all finished I just need to make them in to a quilt top!!!!! Cheers Glenda

8. Meredithe says:

Such a great selection of UFO’s to be working on!! Looking forward to your progress reports. There will be a link up at the end of each month if you want to share there too.

• glenda says:

Many Thanks Meredith, my first challenge Murphy’s Law stopped me LOL I worked on it on Sun and Monday and last night finished the top all but the last border strip around the bottom border, I spent from 10.30pm till 11.30pm looking for it????? I still have not found it so now working on project 2 instead, hopefully I will find the border strips before I start my next 3 weeks challenge LOL. Cheers Glenda

9. They’re all so lovely. I’d start with Florence’s quilt – it’s so near to finish. Looking forward to our progress.

• glenda says:

Angie all the bottom 1/4 is not sewn just placed there to photograph and see what it looks like, Im happy with it so now to find time in those 3 weeks to hopefully finish sewing it in to a quilt top. Best of luck finding your sampan, glad you rescued its a stunning piece. When I first started to learn patchwork I saw a pattern of Florence Petro’s garden quilt and I said then if I ever get good enough to make this I will be happy!!!! this is my second adaptation of it and I still love it. I have one of her books and the pattern is in it. Cheers Glenda

10. Carole says:

All the best for the challenge Glenda! I especially love your 365 Circles.

• glenda says:

Dear Carol are you also doing this challenge??? would be nice to know you are travelling down the same road with me this year. I think I will have to do it for 2018 1nd 2019 to clear up some of my endless UFO’s!!!!!!LOL. I have 90 wee 4inch patches with the last of my 365 Circles to join in to a wall quilt, I loved every moment of making those tiny blocks, I have one wall quilt finished and sashiko quilted, one with all the blocks joined waiting to be sandwiched for quilting those are the ones in the photo and now I have 90 blocks waiting to be joined???? Wishing you all the very best for 2017. Hugz from way up North.

11. Jan says:

Great list of projects. Looking forward to watching your progress during the year.

• glenda says:

Hi Jan thank you for stopping bye, sending you all the best wishes for sewing through out 2017. Meredith’s challenge has so motivated me and given me back my mojo for sewing. I know I will not finish many of these projects in 3 weeks but they will all get a great airing and be that one step closer to been completed. Are you picking up the challenge too????? Cheers Glenda

12. Deana says:

I favor the Florence Petra Quilt and the one with the birds. You really have a lot of projects that really take time like all the applique’ and the grandmother’s flower garden project! I wish you many finishes and lots of progress in 2017! Both of those circle quilts are to die for as well!

• glenda says:

Thank you Deana for dropping in, Florence Petra’s design or my adaptation of her design has quiet a lot to get that top finished but if I have a good 3 weeks with out to many commitments else were I hope to complete it ready to sandwich for quilting. I love this quilt top. My birds are from a Ricky Tims design and when I saw it sewn it reminded me of an area not far from here were they see these sunsets during the cane burning season and I ahve seen the Brolgas flying across the sunsets so I added the Brolgas!!!!! Glad you like the circles I LOVE circles of any kind don’t know why all ways loved drawing them as a childLOL Cheers From Way Down South where the wet has started and Ive just had my first flood down stairs, lucky no material was damaged LOL

13. Pamela says:

What beautiful quilts! The solar system block looks like Japanese fabrics. Can’t wait to see what you do in your first three weeks.

• glenda says:

Hi Pamela I work a lot with Japanese fabrics from 40 plus years of collecting it. Ive travelled to Japan many times and just love there Kimono fabrics from the silks, cottons, to their beautiful fine wool Kimono fabrics. Yes you are right the sola quilt is all fabric from Japan, silks wool and the silver piece is from an obi. Looking forward to working on all my challenges I just hope life doesn’t get in the way it does seem to catch up with me now and then. Hope your arm is healing and not giving you to much pain. Cheers Glenda

14. wendy says:

That’s a lovely selection of WIPs. I see what you mean about the 21st now. I’m not planning on working on each one for 3 weeks, I’m planning on working on one and getting it finished, then starting the next!

• glenda says:

You are a strong quilter than I am then Wendy, as I quilt by hand I’d only get may be 2 finished LOL.. But by just working on one project every 3 weeks is a very very strong motivation to me, my first project I have completed the top now sandwiched it and now sashiko quilting it. If it was not for this challenge it would most likely still be on the shelf in pieces of fabric LOL.. Cheers Glenda