Not able to blog today so will add my blog from the 30th. Hope you all have had a great week sewing and enjoying life in general.
First once again a big thank you Meredthe for keeping this group going and helping me keep working on these 17 WIP’s I have chosen for this year. My goal was not to finish them but to work on them and progress on them. SO far it has been working and I even have had 3 finished quilts which still amazes me LOL
I have not been able to stick to the list as I wrote it out in Jan as I’ve not been down to the city for months and need several things to work on those listed so I’m jumping around my 17 projects.
This month I completed adding the hexagons border to my 1930 GMFG these hexagons are just under 1 inch on the sides of the hexagons. It was a marathon task I can assure you.
1930’s GMFG quilt I’m still hand quilting it about 1/3 of the way now.
completed wee hexagon on the right left one still needs stitching down on the edge.
Left and right borders finished.
Bottom border quilted top waiting to be quilted
Finally all those wee hexagons have been added to the border seen from the back I’m now hand quilting inside each wee hexagon and now realise by working on each hexagon more than one quilter made this quilt top, by the hand stitching acuratisey or in some case not so acurit LOL
I’m really happy I spent all those hrs rescuing this quilt. I spent hrs dreaming about this unknown quilter and have now decided there were many quilters that made this quilt top not just one person.
Finally finished and I did not cut one of those hexagons in 1/2 to add the border so I’m happy.
This could be on my 2018 challenge list??? it is also a 1930’s quilt top I have artist unknown but from the USA and made mostly of shirt fabrics. I love how fresh these hexagons look, there are a couple of bad stains but these are in the white border and this will be easy to replace and I will use a strong fabric than whats here now.
I have been doing more to my ANZ quilt which was one of my earlier challenges in the year, the challenge on this one was to complete making the quilt top which I did, but I’m still working on it sewing those circles on by machine using satin stitch. This is all new to me as I’ve always been a hand quilter.
I have added some pelion to the back for stabilising and padding for inside the circles, I will cut away the pelion from the outside of the circles you can see where I have started to cut it away.
My ANZ quilt that I’m still spending time on all though I meet the goal I’d set for this project. My machine started to play up 5 days ago it was the tension I tried several different things and still the top thread was pulling all through to the back. Finally yesterday I put in new thread top and bottom and new bobbin and needle and it worked so I still don’t know what was wrong but I’m up and running again LOL very very frustrating though as Ive lost 6 days of sewing on these circles.
I’m machine appliquéing these circles on using a satin stitch I was going to just use red thread but it was so boring LOL So changing using the red on the out side of the circles but the inner threads are oranges and yellows much more fun LOL
Last year I took part in the 365quilty circles 2016 which I completed, instead of making one quilt from them I’m make 3 wall quilts, one quilt is completed, one all the tiny sqaures are sewn ready to be sandwiched and quilted and the other 88 blocks were in a little cigar box like wee jewels LOL
My last 21 days challenge is sewing my last 365 quilty circles together from my 2016 challenge, there are 88 wee blocks to make up in to a wee wall art. A few days ago they were all in that wee box???? Top two rows all joined and pressed, second two rows all joined in rows and those two rows waiting to be joined. 5th row finished and waiting for me to finish the 6th row so I can join those two rows together. There are still 22 wee squares in the cigar box. The way its growing I will get them finished and all joined by the 21st day of this challenge. May be even get it sandwiched for quilting, These tiny blocks are all silk none are the same fabric and 4 1/2 inches square. . I now have all the first 6 rows joined working on the last two now.
Below are not any of my 17 chosen challengers for Ufosin217
Some thing else, I have a dear friend in hospital who is very sick and I made her this memory quilt of our friendship over the last 30 odd years. A little crazy wall quilt about 12inchs by 14inchs.
Back of my friends quilt her totom is the owl. He was to big for the front so he has the back all to himself.
I also cut out and prepped my Secret Garden mystery BOM of Esther Aliu’s 2017 BOM
Ive been working on making my QAYG antique hanky blocks only about 4 to make now.
Came across these blocks last 2 weeks ago may be next year challenge LOL
Also this one , This one I’d forgotten about completely it was inside another UFO LOL I think I will put it on point and add pieced blocks around that????
What a difference a day makes lay this on some black fabric Bingo !!!!
One of my 17 challenges called Shields and Swords is completed and gone to its new owner see below.
I also completed sashiko quilting Joshua’s quilt and it has gone to him.
Below is not one of the 17 challenges.
Finally last but not least a project I’m sashiko quilting
This is free form sashiko quilting not embroidery sashiko quilting. Translated Sashiko means little stabs. I want to get use to using sashiko quilting before sashiko quilting my Quilt Memory to War Mothers quilt. I find sashiko very very addictive when I’m quilting free form.
Thanks once again Meredthe
Thanks for dropping in to see what I have been doing, I hope you have all managed to work on your projects and are making head way in to those 17 projects you choose. Cheers ALL Glenda